Re: install of fc5 while running fc4?

On 5/8/06, Jose Achmad Palala <deterium73@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
So you have two partitions and you want to be able to put stuff into the
other partition while you're running fc4 right?  the thing is, maybe you'd
like to just upgrade... as in yum upgrade..

On 5/8/06, David L <idht4n@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have partitions reserved for two simultaneous fc releases.  That way, I
> can try a new release and revert to the old release if I have a problem
with
> the new release.  For example, I have fc4 active on my computer and I can
> still boot to fc3 on an alternate partition.  I'm about to blow away the
fc3
> partions and install fc5.  My question is, can I install fc5 to alternate
> partitions while I'm running (and actively using fc4)?  Or if there isn't
> safe way to do that, is there an easy way to extract all of the RPMs into
> the root partition of what will become the fc5 root partition so I can
save
> a few hours during the installation?
>
> Thanks...
>
>                   David

You can just have FC5 install over the FC3 partition. This is no more
different than installing say Fedora on one partition and SUSE on
another. If you are concerned about partitioning delete the FC3
partition(s) first and have FC5 use the free space.