Re: budget box to run FC5?

On Sun, 2006-05-07 at 11:11 -0500, Tom Poe wrote:
> Charles Curley wrote:
>
> >On Sun, May 07, 2006 at 02:35:41AM -0500, Peter Horst wrote:
> >

> >>I'm looking for a cheap new computer from which to run a small website.
> >>Has anyone had good luck running FC5 on a cheapo computer?  By cheap I
> >>mean < $500. I'm in the Chicago area, if that makes any difference.
> >>

> >Any reason it has to be new? In any case, check walmart.com. Last I
> >looked, their manufacturer (Microtek, I think) deliberately selected
> >components that were compatible with Linux, as they were installing
> >Linux on several models for sale. They don't necessarily use the same
> >supplier as the stores.
> >

> What about tracking down the nearest university computer recycle
> program?  They almost always have excellent prices for computers.
iFunny you should say that. That is the way it worked at Trinity
University until someone found computers in the city dump that could be
traced back to Trinity and Dell. To keep Trinity from selling there
recycled machines to faculty and staff Dell buys the Hardware back from
Trinity at some minimal cost. No more cheap computers are the result.

--
Aaron Konstam <akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>