Re: Problem with mounting hard disk after FC5 installation

At 11:34 AM -0400 5/7/06, Rickey Moore wrote:
>On Thu, 2006-05-04 at 20:54 +0100, Robert Spanton wrote:
>> > What type of partition is yours?  Mine's an ext2.  I'm thinking of running
>> > tune2fs to convert it to ext3 to see if that makes a difference.
>>
>> Mine's ext3.
>>
>> I have suspicions that the problem lies somewhere further down than
>> the filesystem, because the hard disk partition doesn't actually
>> appear in sysfs until I run partprobe.
>>
>> I'm not quite sure what partprobe pokes though.
>>
>> Are you using LVM?
>
>THANK YOU, GENTLEMEN!!
>I thought I'd been around awhile... never recalling hearing of
>'partprobe'. I ran it, and have been having a pile of problems with
>udev, and partprobe reveals that the system thinks I have this:
>
>[root@iam My Downloads]# partprobe -s
>/dev/hda: msdos partitions 1 2
>/dev/sda: msdos partitions 1
>
>WTF?
>I have ext3 partitions and lvm on hda... no wonder udev barfs. How do I
>safely fix this?? The boot sequence finds ext3 partitions, and
>everything gets mounted as such, or so I beleive. Something got
>clobbered during yum upgrade... I suspect. Thanks again for your timely
>post. Ric

Nothing there to fix.  All it said was that the partition table format is
msdos and that there are two partitions.  "parted /dev/hda print" will show
what the partition table says in detail, while "fdisk -l /dev/hda" will
show how it was interpreted.  Note that my understanding of this is fairly
basic and I haven't had to manually edit any partition tables.