Re: OT: ht://Dig

CodeHeads:
> OK, thanks Tim, I guess I can read the man page and use google. :)

Sorry I wasn't more direct, but it's ages since I set mine going, and
ages since I experimented with it.

There are HTML docs for it installed on your system, so there's more
than a "man" page.  I found some of their scripts to be broken, though.
You'll find out that some (all?) of the commands they detail are
actually scripts.  I ended up writing my own to suit my needs.

The biggest bugs I found were down to it badly handling things like
" or UTF-8 characters.  They don't get used as they're supposed to
be.

e.g. Despite documentation about improvements, " will get converted
to " and you'll see search results returned like this in the
page:  Description: "something was said
Instead of:  Description: "something was said

And you'll see the usual effects of UTF-8 text when it's handled by
something that doesn't know how to parse it.

Those bugs are years old by now, and not fixed yet.  If I were using
htdig for anything more than in-house searching, I'd swap to using
something else.

I read messages from the public lists.