Re: A FC6 suggestion.

On Fri, 2006-05-05 at 14:36 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-05-05 at 14:14, Filippos Klironomos wrote:
> > One command man:
> >
> > e2label /dev/hd# <new label>
> >
> > I understand your problem, had a similar one in fact when installed
> > FC5 on to of WinXP but wanted
> > to keep the old FC4 partition for data storage. It showed as '/' while
> > the original root showed as /1.
> >
> > e2label will fix this for you! But remember to edit
> > /boot/grub/grub.conf and change the kernel arguments
> > as well! :-)
>
> Note that the machine won't boot to allow you to do this
> command...  You have to dig out some kind of rescue boot
> media.  And apparently this was someone's idea of making
> things easier.

Oh come on.
This happened to me when I was a n00b.
I figured out rather quickly that all I had to do was:
a) power off
b) disconnect the IDE cable to the added drive causing the conflict
c) boot
d) edit /etc/fstab - use /dev/hdan instead of LABEL=/ and LABEL=/home
e) shutdown
f) reconnect cable
g) boot

You don't need to dig up rescue media or anything silly like that.

If this is something you want to be able to do - then it is user error
to use the same LABEL on multiple systems.

But really - just put the drive in a USB2 case, attach it, and recover
away. There is no LABEL problem then. That's safer than opening up your
good box anyway.

Sorry if I'm a tad grumpy.
I'm off to see if they have the current Linux Journal at the local
supermarket (yes, they carry it).