Re: Odd messages during bootup from gdm

Tony Nelson wrote:

SELinux must be active but not enforcing for it to relabel.

During the development testing phase, selinux was in a state where selinux could not even be in permissive mode for booting a kernel. I relabeled the system with SELinux completely disabled and in runlevel 1 and was able to boot successfully after relabeling the system. you could argue that sonce the system goes into relabelling once mode is switched from disabled to enabled, either permissive or enforcing, relabeling was successful only because of round two relabeling.

If my understanding is correct. relabeling is file system related and selinux does not need enabled in order to add content to the file system. In order to honor the content within the labled file system, selinux must be active. If SELinux is active during relabeling, it could prevent file content to be added to the filesystem. SELinux governs by the rules written to the file system, if I'm on cue.

Jim

--
In a display of perverse brilliance, Carl the repairman mistakes a room
humidifier for a mid-range computer but manages to tie it into the network