Re: "Jane!!! Stop this crazy thing!!!"

On Thu, 2006-05-04 at 09:21 -0700, Mike Duffy wrote:
> Can anyone please explain to me why my hard drive continuously cycles every three to five seconds,
> even when I am not doing anything?  This is incredibly annoying.
>
> I am using FC-4.  Does anyone know if this bug (please don't tell me it is a feature) has been
> fixed in FC-5?  Does anyone know if there are any other Linux distributions that do not have this
> bug?
>
> Is there any way to turn this activity off, by killing a process, etc.?  If anyone can help me
> solve this I promise to buy you your favorite beverage if you are ever in Austin.
----
I think that is the nature of journaled filesystems...it's creating a
journal entry. You can switch it back to ext2 (not journaled) or leave
it as is and live with it (ext3).

Perhaps you need to read up on the benefits of a journaled file system.
----

> Thx!
>
> Mike
>
> FYI:  The subject of this email comes from the cartoon series, "The Jetsons."
----
thanks for the BGO

Craig

BGO = "Blinding Glimpse of the Obvious"