Re: wireless connection and X session

Rick Stevens a écrit :
On Tue, 2006-05-02 at 15:17 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:

On Tue, 2006-05-02 at 17:32 +0200, François Patte wrote:

Mikkel L. Ellertson a écrit :

François Patte wrote:

Bonjour,

I am facing a problem that I don't understand. I installed FC4 on my
laptop and wireless is working fine but if I launch the wireless
connection after the boot (using for instance ifup eth1) I loose the
ownership of the X session, ie I am unable to open any graphical
application.

If I kill my session and log again, I recover this ownership (and the
wireless connection is not lost...).

Who can help me?

Thank you.

Dumb question - is your hostname changing when you bring up the
network connection? If so, this will cause problems in X.

This seems to be exactly the problem and it seems to be present only
with gnome..... (not appears with kde...)

I don't buy that.  KDE may restart X when the hostname changes, but X
depends on the hostname being set.  Read on.

What can i do? How to guess the hostname you will get when you want to
use a wifi in an airport for instance? Shall I put all possible names in
/etc/hosts?

I'm interrested to the solution of this problem....

Thanks.

Well here is my question. If you are using  wireless communication
using DHCP to multiple access points why are you defining a hostname?
Take the hostname the dhcp server gives you.

That will only work if X comes up AFTER the machine receives its IP and
hostname from the DHCP server.  Remember that the local X session is
tied to the X server with its display at "hostname:0".  If the hostname
changes to "newhostname" and you DON'T restart X, there'll be no
"newhostname:0" display and you won't be able to open any new X clients.
End of story.

If you're not sure if you'll get DHCPd before or after X comes up, the
best bet is to define a fixed hostname and tie it to 127.0.0.1 in
your /etc/hosts file (you already have one..."localhost") and ignore any
hostname the DHCP server gives you.

this only works if you define the hostname in /etc/sysconfig/network

 Edit your dhclient.conf file and
add 'supersede host-name "localhost"' to the stanza that defines your
connection.  For example (stripped down to minimums),

       timeout 60;
       retry 60;
       reboot 10;
       select-timeout 5;
       initial-interval 2;

       interface "wlan0" {
           supersede host-name "localhost";  <<<---NOTE! Ignore DHCP
           request subnet-mask, broadcast-address, time-offset, routers,
                domain-name-servers;
           require subnet-mask, domain-name-servers;
       }

This seems to be the best solution.

Thank you.

Alternately, you can accept the hostname the DHCP server gives you and
then add some commands to /usr/sbin/dhclient-script (e.g.
"/usr/sbin/gdm-restart") so X restarts with the new hostname.  I leave
that as an exercise for the reader.

Hum!? there is no difference with: closing your session after setting up the network, then log in again. And it is quite violent!

--
François Patte
UFR de mathématiques et informatique