Re: wireless connection and X session

Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-05-02 at 17:32 +0200, François Patte wrote:
>> Mikkel L. Ellertson a écrit :

>>> Dumb question - is your hostname changing when you bring up the
>>> network connection? If so, this will cause problems in X.
>> This seems to be exactly the problem and it seems to be present only
>> with gnome..... (not appears with kde...)
>>
>> What can i do? How to guess the hostname you will get when you want to
>> use a wifi in an airport for instance? Shall I put all possible names in
>> /etc/hosts?
>>
>> I'm interrested to the solution of this problem....
>>
>> Thanks.
> Well here is my question. If you are using  wireless communication
> using DHCP to multiple access points why are you defining a hostname?
> Take the hostname the dhcp server gives you.

Because you get the hostname from DHCP after you start X if you are
using a GUI to make the wireless connection. Also, it is not unusual
to not bring up any interfaces when you boot a laptop, and then
select the interfaces and/or APs after you log in. Remember, laptops
are not always run in the same place, and you may not have any
network connection when you boot (or wake up) the laptop.

Mikkel