Re: find issue led to possible fsck bug

Scot L. Harris wrote:
New clean install of FC5.

Error from running find command:

[root@ws-ai ~]# find / -name "ipop*" -print
/usr/share/logwatch/scripts/services/ipop3d
/usr/share/logwatch/default.conf/services/ipop3d.conf
find: WARNING: Hard link count is wrong for /selinux: this may be a bug
in your filesystem driver.  Automatically turning on find's -noleaf
option.  Earlier results may have failed to include directories that
should have been searched.

I recommended they run fsck on the file systems to identify and fix any
problems.

[root@ws-ai ~]# fsck -n -f -v
fsck 1.38 (30-Jun-2005)
e2fsck 1.38 (30-Jun-2005)
Warning!  /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 is mounted.
Warning: skipping journal recovery because doing a read-only filesystem
check.
Pass 2: Checking directory structure
Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity
Pass 4: Checking reference counts
Pass 5: Checking group summary information
Free blocks count wrong (24775172, counted=24775130).
Fix? no

Free inodes count wrong (26281629, counted=26281429).
Fix? no

/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00: ********** WARNING: Filesystem still has
errors **********

  129379 inodes used (0%)
     529 non-contiguous inodes (0.4%)
         # of inodes with ind/dind/tind blocks: 7354/55/0
 1619452 blocks used (6%)
       0 bad blocks
       1 large file

  111241 regular files
    8766 directories
       1 character device file
       1 block device file
       1 fifo
    3735 links
    9532 symbolic links (9400 fast symbolic links)
      28 sockets
--------
  133305 files

Subsequent runs of fsck to actually fix the problems does not appear to
work.  I even had them put the file /forcefsck on the system and reboot.
Same issues.  The results of the fsck seem to vary slightly.
I have not seen the same happen, but I would find it informative to know if setting selinux to off is enough to get past the problem (though I doubt it).

Also, in your first fsck run, you said "no" to fix problems; did you subsequently run it with yes ? You would need to boot from the rescue cd (or cd 1) so that the filesystems to check can be written to.

DaveT.