Re: fstab missing line

At 11:05 PM +0930 5/2/06, Tim wrote:
>On Tue, 2006-05-02 at 13:45 +0100, Ian Malone wrote:
>> The /media/{volume.name} thing strikes me as silly though.
>
>Well, in theory, if you have multiple drives, and something running from
>multiple discs, you don't have to sit there managing which disc is
>inserted in where.  A script can ask for /media/disc1 then /media/disc2
>and actually get those discs, wherever they are, without further human
>intervention.
>
>Granted that's not too much of a common issue with CDs, but it certainly
>was the sort of palaver I've gone through with floppies, in years gone
>past.  It's very convenient to be able to refer to a disc by its volume
>name, and/or the drive by the hardware address.
>
>/media/disc1 gets that particular disc wherever it is.
>/dev/cdrom gets whatever's in that drive
>
>The two are separately more useful in different circumstances.

Why not have both /media/{volume.name} and /media/cdrecorder via symlinks
for whatever is mounted from /dev/cdrom (which is usually a symlink to
/dev/hde or whatever)?  ISTM that the problem was that the Gnomes made a
choice, changing the previous choice, when no choice needed to be made.

I haven't had to deal with this yet, because the DVDs I'm using don't have
filesystems, aren't recognized, and the automounter just crashes every
time.  I access them through /dev/dvd.