Re: fstab missing line

On 5/1/06, jdow <jdow@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
From: "Ian Malone" <ibmalone@xxxxxxxxx>

> On 5/1/06, Bob Goodwin <bobgoodwin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> I don't recall the precise sequence of events but no doubt I attempted
>> to "mount /dev/hdc" and the cd to "/media/cdrecorder" as I am accustomed
>> to doing since FC4 and trying to look at a directory listing ...
>>

> Using Gnome on FC5 the normal behaviour is that when you insert a
> data cd it is mounted under /media/<volumename>.  Personally I
> find this a little inconvenient, but it's not impossible to work with.
> Does this not happen for you?

Some of us are adverse to checking unknown CDROMs from a GUI. Given
the choice I prefer to look at it from a bog standard command-line
bash session such as via alt-f1. Does the automount work there? And
where does it mount the drive?

I've no idea what actually goes on, I seem to remember someone saying
HAL wouldn't be used for this in FC%, but J. K. Cliburn's mail on this
thread suggests otherwise.

The mount point is /media/{volume.name}

As to security risks from unknown CDROMs in a GUI, unless the Gnome
people go crazy and start implementing something like Window's autorun
I doubt there's significant risk. (Buffer overrun attacks in previewed file
types like pngs maybe?)

--
imalone