Re: FC5 - Intel 945GM not working

Jim Cornette wrote:
>> Coming into this late, but this may help. What I did on my Toshiba
>> laptop to make it work was to get i915-20060403-linux.i386.tar.bz2
>> from http://dri.freedesktop.org/snapshots/. Make sure you only
>> install that file, and not the common-20060403-linux.i386.tar.bz2
>> file, or you will break things. (I ended up with a blank screen and
>> had to get rid of the files from
>> common-20060403-linux.i386.tar.bz2.) You then pick the i810 driver.
>> It gives you much better video then using the VESA driver. You are
>> installing a replacement i810 and an i915 module.
>>
>> Now if I can just get DMA working on the DVD drive, life will be
>> good. (hdparm returns an error when I try and set it.)
>>
>> Mikkel
>
> What snapshot would be better to use for the 865G video? Would the i810
> or the i915 snapshot be more appropriate?
>
> Some earlier poster reported a blank screen with the stock install of
> xorg-x11 that Fedora maintains. I have no problem with my installation
> using the stock version.
>
> Anyway, if replacing the stock with the snapshots works, bugs should be
> files in bugzilla for Fedora and the xorg i810 driver version.
>
> I had to replace Fedora compiled versions with snapshots before. It is
> possible but needs repeated when the xorg-x11 driver for the i810 gets
> replaced.
>
> Agreed that the difference between the vesa driver and the i810 are
> worth getting the i810 working either from using the snapshot or not.
>
> When I had problems with the driver the i810_drv.so was all I replaced.
> The location of the driver is different for FC5.
> locate i810_drv
> /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/i810_drv.so
>
> Does replacing the dri show any improvements? I am wondering because the
> blank screen problem for Intel video cards was with xorg component with
> my problem which was not a blank screen.
> /usr/lib/dri/i915_dri.so
> /usr/lib/dri/i810_dri.so
>

> More curious and also hope to lead to getting the "one size fits all"
> Intel driver fixed for the many Intel video cards it supports. (And lead
> the other user with he blank screen to a solution.
>
> Jim

All I can tell you is that I untared
i915-20060403-linux.i386.tar.bz2 and ran the install script in it.
It found the correct directory, and updated the files. As far as RPM
is concerned, the /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/i810_drv.so file is
owned by xorg-x11-drv-i810-1.4.1.3-3.1 and the
/usr/lib/dri/i810_dri.so is owned by mesa-libGL-6.4.2-6. i810_drv.so
was updated by the install script, and the i915_drv.so was added.

Now, when xorg-x11-drv-i810 gets updated, it will overwrite my
updated file. But I am hoping that the updated driver will included
in that release. If not, I'll have to replace it again. (I really
should build an RPM with the updates...)

Mikkel