Re: On passwords, securtiy and real -sweat, blook and tears- life

On Sun, 2006-04-30 at 08:30 +0200, A.J. Bonnema wrote:
> AFAIK my firewall has all ports closed for both TCP and UDP. However,
> I have no means of checking that this is true.

There are tools like nmap that will let you test for yourself.

> Through the site "Shields Up" (www.grc.com) I have been able to check
> that *some* UDP ports are closed (windows related), but that is no
> surprise as I run FC5 and the Windows machines are currently not
> connected.

It'll test your public interface.  If that happens to be a router,
that's what it'll test.  If your machines are behind one, connections
can only go through if you configure the router to allow them.

I read messages from the public lists.