scim chinese input under non GB2312 locale

Hi,

I try to input Chinese under non-asian locale, followed the FC5 release
> mkdir ~/.xinput.d
> ln -s /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/scim ~/.xinput.d/default
and my installed scim packages are:
> [zhuhx@zhu_fedora ~]$ rpm -qa |grep scim
> scim-1.4.4-9
> scim-tables-chinese-0.5.6-3
> scim-pinyin-0.5.91-4.3
> scim-qtimm-0.9.4-2.1.1
> scim-tables-0.5.6-3
> scim-libs-1.4.4-9
> scim-chewing-0.2.1-5.1
> [zhuhx@zhu_fedora ~]$
After I logout X and login again, there is a grey keyboard in the
notification area of the desktop panel, BUT i can't activate it. (using
CTRL+SPACE and other key combinations)

After I set LANG LC_ALL LC_CTYPE to zh_CN.GB18030, I can activate IME,
but the inputed string are not chinese, only gabage string letters.

After I set LANG LC_ALL LC_CTYPE to zh_CN.GB2312 in .bashrc, logout and
login again, under Chinese locale, SCIM works. (can activate and input
chinese)

So, although I can input Chinese now under Chinese locale, I still hope
to input Chinese under english locale. I can do it in my home PC. don't
know what caused the difference.

Thanks
Houxiang