Re: On passwords, securtiy and real -sweat, blook and tears- life

Tim:
>> You can use dictionary words, but *scrambling* their letters, as a way
>> to make things quite easily memorable.
>>
>> e.g. Use the words "a", "good" & "friend" by interspersing the letters
>>
>>    f r i e n d
>>  +  a
>>  +    d o o g    (reversed, "good", this time)
>>
>>  = fardioeongd

Aaron Konstam:
> John the Ripper does really well on reversed words and names. For
> example it guessed :acinorev
> Which mystified me until I saw that it was Veronica backwards.

That's why it pays to construct a password out of multiple words,
combining them in wierd ways.  Of course, if memorising them isn't an
issue, then strange random combinations of letters is fine, and the more
the merrier.

I read messages from the public lists.