Re: Open Letter: How the FOSS Community May Help Disabled Users

On Fri, 2006-04-28 at 17:15 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-04-28 at 16:54, Jeff Vian wrote:
>
> > > Might I suggest in the future, you use the terms physically/mentally
> > > challenged instead of disabled users? Here in the U.S. there is a never
> > > ending supply of politically correct nuts :-((
> > >
> > Just because you prefer politically correct terminology does not mean
> > everyone has to mollify your sensibilities.
> >
> > I would never ask someone from a different area to change their language
> > use just to satisfy me.
>
> I think you are missing the point.  If someone wants Linux to

Hardly.

> be able to compete against commercial software then it has to
> compete on the acceptability and political correctness fronts
> as well.  I realize a lot of people don't care one way or the
> other and in the free software world market share doesn't matter
> but at least they should recognize that the issue exists.  That
> is, commercial software and the people promoting it do make
> concessions to satisfy the potential customers.

Sometimes.
My post was about the attitude of one poster, and his demand for
politically correct terminology and not about the topic that started
this thread.

> > You are free to reply with the terms you prefer, just as Marco is free
> > to use the phrases he wishes.
>
> And the potential users are free to avoid dealing with people using
> phrases they dislike and the products they handle.

That is my point exactly.  Pandering to the demanding is just that,
pandering.  It is to a great extent detrimental to the overall
community.  Keeping the atmosphere friendly and welcoming is much better
than trying to set artificial rules about what one can or cannot say
and/or how they say it.

Being a bit understanding and recognizing that others have their own
standards makes the atmosphere more open and easier to deal with and
invites participation.
Having the attitude that "you have to meet my personal standards" (which
is what I responded to) is not in any way productive and is instead
terribly negative.

It seems many others felt my point was exactly on target. Too bad you
are not as open minded.
Telling them to go away as you did with the phrase above is not helpful
at all.