Re: [PHILOSOPHY] Stability and Release Schedules

On Thu, Apr 27, 2006 at 03:52:02PM -0700, John Wendel wrote:

 > Reading the Debian thread (and others) has made me wonder why Fedora
 > has to have "releases" at all. Why not have a continuously evolving
 > distribution? One would start by downloading an "installer system"
 > that would then use the existing mechanisms (yum, whatever) to update
 > itself. From this point on, why would one need "releases"? Just keep
 > releasing updates and new packages exactly as things are done now.

Think of the releases as stabilisation points.

Right now, after a release, there are two forks.
The released version will have stable updates pushed to it.
The other fork (rawhide/development), will have all kinds of crazy
destabilising experiments pushed to it.

With a single stream as you propose, we either throw away
the notion of a stable release, or we don't ever destabilise the tree.

		Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk