Re: Apple macbook pro

Louis E Garcia II wrote:
> Has anyone been successful at installing FC5 on this laptop? Been doing
> some research and think it's possible. Does this involve Apple's
> bootcamp? I rather not use any apple software just blow away the hard
> drive and start fresh with FC. Then comes the problem of drivers, I
> think most hardware is ok except video card (ATI x1600), isight camera
> and wireless (broadcom?).

These threads may be interesting:

http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2006-April/msg00743.html
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2006-March/msg00770.html
(search for EFI, and note that this was only turned on *after* the FC5
install kernel was released).

It sounds like you might have problems with support for some of the
hardware, the EFI firmware (instead of traditional BIOSes), and the GPT
partition table. Support for the last two is there in the Linux kernel,
but EFI at least wasn't really relevant on x86.

You can expect FC6 to work well with them. Rawhide should be rapidly
improving (just as they break the rest of the release -- I really
wouldn't recommend it now).

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail address: james | NOBODY IS WATCHING YOU!
@westexe.demon.co.uk  |     -- Government surveillance in ancient Ithaca