Re: GeForce FX5200 and livna nvidia drivers 8756

On Wed, 2006-04-26 at 09:16 -0400, Lyvim Xaphir wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-04-23 at 10:01 -0400, Nikhil Fernandes wrote:
> > I just upgraded my kernel to the 2096 kernel, and I had to reinstall the
> > livna drivers. I originally had the 8178 drivers, but now I have the
> > 8756 drivers, and fullscreen OpenGL apps don't take the full screen
> > anymore. For example, when I run enemy territory at resolution of
> > 1024x768, rather than scaling up to fill my 1280x1024 monitor, it runs
> > in 1024x768 area in the bottom left corner of the screen - the rest of
> > the screen is black.
> >
> > Any ideas?
>
> I don't know, but I noticed the very same thing on a system I just
> installed FC5 on the other day.  The game in question was Baldur's Gate
> 2 under Cedega, and instead of the screen changing resolution to match
> the game, the resolution stayed the same and the game displayed in the
> upper right hand corner at 640x480.
>
> The way I worked around this was to match the OpenGL resolution roughly
> to the existing screen resolution.  That got things to working right. I
> had to do the same thing to Neverwinter Nights. The problem is tho that
> not every OpenGl game can be run at 1280x1024 on every processor.
> Sometimes you need the resolution downshift to even play at all; so this
> is a problem and I'm not sure what to do except to start reading the
> Nvidia readme.txt for some clues --
>

> http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/1.0-8756/README/index.html
>
> LX

Oops...I forgot to post a [solved] post. What I had to do was make sure
that all the modes I needed were listed in xorg.conf. For some reason,
upgrading the driver seemed to delete the modes from my xorg.conf.
Wither that, or the new driver needs the modes available in xorg.conf
while the old one could resize without it. I'm not an expert, so I have
no clue. I don't know if that will work for you, but give it a shot.

Nik