Re: Installing i386 apps via yum on an x86_64 install

On 4/23/06, Frank Pineau <frank@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Ok, so, there are a few apps that don't work well under x86_64.  Mplayer
> (because of the 32-bit codecs), Firefox, java, and a few others.
> Obviously I can download and compile from source, but is there a safe
> way to install 32-bit rpms via yum without borking the rest of my
> system?  Mplayer-i386, for example, has a bunch of i386 lib dependencies
> which are obviously not installed, so even compiling from source would
> end up being a pain.

There are many emails in the archives covering this topic.  Some
relate specifically to Firefox since it is probably the most popular
32-bit app on 64-bit systems.  I'll quickly layout one option.
1. Copy the .repo files in /etc/yum.repos.d/ to similar filenames with
something like i386 in the name
2. Rename the repos (the name is between [] at the top) to add i386 or
32 or something like that to the name
3. Change the $arch to i386 where ever it appears in the file
4. Set Enabled=0 so they are off by default

Now, you want to install mplayer 32-bit?  Do something like this:

# yum install --enablerepo=base-i386 mplayer.i386

This assumes you changed the base repo's name to base-i386.  You
probably also want to enable the updates repo too, so you get the
latest versions.  Keeping things up to date can be a little tricky
sometimes.  More details are to be had in the archives :).

Jonathan