Re: Bad night with FC-5

On Tue, 2006-04-25 at 00:55 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> Is it me, or has anaconda really deteriorated?

Anaconda has gone through some changes - IE it now is using yum.

What I do (and I've done numerous fc5 installs) -

I always do a clean install.
This works better with some planning. Of course, you should ALWAYS
backup you data before upgrade or install - but what is best is if /home
is a separate partition (in can be in the same volume group as
everything else, just a separate logical volume).

I also make a /srv partition - and change configuration files for
apache/mysql/etc. to use /srv instead of /var (requires some SELinux
tweaks as well).

Then when new distro comes out - I can do a dump of the mysql database
in case there are problems, backup /etc, and do a clean install
reformating / but leaving /home and /srv as they are.

With fc5 - I customize later, and deselect the Office checkbox.

-=-

On a machine where anaconda fails - I try an http install. Very often
that works. It seems anaconda isn't patient enough to wait for the disk
to finish mounting on some hardware, so it works via http install but
not by DVD install.

If that doesn't work (and I've seen even that fail, especially on
laptops - seems that the pcmcia utils on the fc5 disk has a bug with
some laptops preventing cardbus cards from working) - then I do a fc4
install.

After installing fc4 I yum update the kernel (a must), then update yum,
then I install the fedora-release from fc5. This then allows me to do a
yum update to bring it up to fc5.

Then I yum install pirut - which allows me to use the gui software
installer to install all the software I want.