Bad night with FC-5

I had a bad experience yesterday installing FC-5 (x86_64 version)
on an Athlon AMD-64 machine.

The machine was running FC-4, so I started by trying to upgrade.
I got an error on CD#4 - an rpm was not found.
I tried again, and got a similar error on CD#2.

So I transferred the CDs to the hard disk (/dev/hda2, a VFAT partition).
This time the upgrade bombed out with 2 minutes to go.
So I decided to install rather than upgrade.
This not only failed,
it also destroyed my grub setup.

To cut a long story short,
I finished by installing FC-4 with minimal custom choice.
This worked, so I updated this to FC-5,
and then installed what I needed with "yum groupinstall"s.

I've had similar problems installing FC-5 (x386 version) on another machine.

Is it me, or has anaconda really deteriorated?

I like FC-5, which seems to me to be a great distribution.
It's a pity installing it seems to meet so many problems.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366