How are OS updates handled by default in FC5?

In olden days, the throbbing update icon on the taskbar would
start up automatically when you logged in.
In FC5, what handles that function?  I know about yum and pirut/pup,
and have even downloaded and looked at their sources,
but I have no idea what a default install does about OS updates.

I ask because I'm experimenting with setting up my own little
repository at kegel.com for some of my own apps, and I would
like to understand how the update process works; will I be able
to push out updates to people who add my repository to
/etc/yum.conf.d, or will users have to do something manual
(like run yum, pup, or pirut by hand)?
- Dan