Re: FC5 - quick yum fix for java plugin?

On Mon, 2006-04-24 at 16:54 +0100, Ian Malone wrote:

> <snip>
>
> > That's basically the same article as the one I mentioned earlier from my
> > own site (http://www.city-fan.org/tips/JpackageJava). I'm the author.
> >
> > > While I found it relatively painless I have three comments, the first two
> > > are technical:
> >
> > OK, thanks for the feedback.
> >
> > > It assumes the user is set up to sudo things like yum, this isn't the
> > > default on Fedora, so su - -c"" might be more appropriate.
> >
> > That's a good point. I'll give that a try. Or maybe write something on
> > using sudo and linking to that.
> >

> Re sudo: while it's nice to have a comprehensive reference, a normal
> user is going to give up if they have to follow too many howtos to get
> one thing working.  Aside: Possibly some clever way of setting up a
> 'power user' (someone allowed to sudo stuff like yum) on installation
> is needed these days.  Ubuntu has a try at this, but really just replaces
> root with one users who can sudo anything.

True. However, "su - -c ..." has the disadvantage of changing directory
before running the command, which means that all filenames will need
full pathnames in instructions, which will clutter things up in HOWTOs.
I think most people "get" that "sudo command" means "run `command' as
root", and people will do that by whatever means best suits them, be it
"su", "sudo", "ssh localhost -l root", whatever. I could do with
documenting that though.

> > > It uses
> > > ~/rpmbuild, which is certainly good practice, but doesn't mention that
> > > you need a file (~/.rpmmacros I think) set up for this to work.
> >
> > The article does however tell you how to set up an rpm build
> > environment, which covers this.
> >

> This wasn't in the one I followed, which nicely reinforces your next
> point that it's good to have one well maintained reference.  Can't
> fault the correct version here.

The fedoranews article has rather less detail on that (since the
article's really about installing Java rather than setting up an RPM
build environment), but the running of "fedora-buildrpmtree" it mentions
will set up the required .rpmmacros file.

> Anyone with a login on the fedora wiki willing to change the link at
> <http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/JavaFAQ#head-09b609578b45f636daa3d3e6ed63b61bc0f2d85d>
> to the correct one?  This really should be the place to find the correct link.

Done.

> > > Finally, for simplicity it might be worth having a script which does this
> > > all for you.
> >
> > That's a possibility but a downside of that is that such a script would
> > probably end up getting circulated amongst people on mailing lists,
> > forums etc., and would then stop working when for instance Sun released
> > a new version of Java. Having a URL for a website where up to date
> > instructions can be found doesn't suffer from that problem.
> >

> Makes me wonder whether a fairly simple RPM could be put into
> the jpackage repository containing this.  Then you'd yum install
> it, type jpackage-build or similar as a normal user and it would do
> it for you (probably stopping short of the actual installation though).

Sounds like a good idea - perhaps bring it up on the jpackage mailing
list?

> Anyway, thanks for writing the guide, it's as clear as these things can
> get, and most importantly it actually works.

Thanks.

Cheers, Paul.