Re: FC5 - quick yum fix for java plugin?

On Mon, 2006-04-24 at 15:28 +0100, Ian Malone wrote:
> On 22/04/06, Jay Cliburn <jcliburn@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Sat, 2006-04-22 at 12:05 -0400, Marc M wrote:
> > > I am having trouble getting my java plugin to work properly.  I am
> > > trying to run a cbt on a training website and firefox sends me to the
> > > java site for the plugin.  I have downloaded the rpm.bin file, run the
> > > script, chmodded the rpm to 777, and I still get the following.
> > >
> > > Does anyone have any good updated yum locations where I can just grab
> > > a good file with some updated repo's, that are likely to fix all of
> > > these dependencies?
> >
> > Assuming you're running 32-bit FC5, go here for instructions.
> >
> > http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_5_installation_notes.html#Java
> >

> Coincidentally I followed that this morning before seeing this thread
> (well the identical, to my eyes, version from
> <http://fedoranews.org/mediawiki/index.php/JPackage_Java_for_FC4>).

That's basically the same article as the one I mentioned earlier from my
own site (http://www.city-fan.org/tips/JpackageJava). I'm the author.

> While I found it relatively painless I have three comments, the first two
> are technical:

OK, thanks for the feedback.

> It assumes the user is set up to sudo things like yum, this isn't the
> default on Fedora, so su - -c"" might be more appropriate.

That's a good point. I'll give that a try. Or maybe write something on
using sudo and linking to that.

> It uses
> ~/rpmbuild, which is certainly good practice, but doesn't mention that
> you need a file (~/.rpmmacros I think) set up for this to work.

The article does however tell you how to set up an rpm build
environment, which covers this.

> Finally, for simplicity it might be worth having a script which does this
> all for you.

That's a possibility but a downside of that is that such a script would
probably end up getting circulated amongst people on mailing lists,
forums etc., and would then stop working when for instance Sun released
a new version of Java. Having a URL for a website where up to date
instructions can be found doesn't suffer from that problem.

Cheers, Paul.