gst-registry self destructed

Hi,

Sometime in the last couple of days sound went screwy on one of my FC4
boxes.  I don't know why, I haven't modified anything regarding sound
settings.

Apon logging in, I get a pop-up error notice saying:  "No volume control
elements and/or devices found."  However, programs like XMMS can still
play Ogg files, and Gaim still makes its noises.

If I run the sound card detection routine, from Gnome's system settings
menu, it plays sounds without errors, and exits without any apparent
problems.

If I try to directly open the volume controls from Gnome's sound and
video menu, I get an error notice saying:  "Registry is not present or
it is corrupted, please update it by running gst-register"

I am reluctant to do so (but already have), because the last time I did
that it reset all sorts of things back to settings I do not like.  This
all smacks of the stupid Microsoft Windows registry behaviour, where it
goes nuts for some ridiculous reason, and the repair technique is
equally dumb.

For the future, is there some way to just fix up the sound side of
things without messing up the rest?

Related to this, according to the "gst-register-0.8" manual (the manual
and command have the "-0.8" suffix), I should be able to run the command
with the "--help" option and get some help.

       gst-register accepts the following options:
       --help  Print help synopsis and available FLAGS

But this doesn't do what it says.  It offers no help, and immediately
runs as if I'd never included "--help".  (I've seen other tools do the
same.)  Below is the result of "gst-register-0.8 --help", which is
identical to the output of running "gst-register-0.8".

$ gst-register-0.8 --help
Trying to load global_registry ...
Error loading global_registry
Added path   /usr/lib/gstreamer-0.8 to user_registry
Rebuilding user_registry (/home/tim/.gstreamer-0.8/registry-i386.xml) ...
Added plugin gstaudiofilter with 0 features.
Added plugin sine with 1 feature.
Added plugin xwindowlistener with 0 features.
Added plugin gdkpixbuf with 2 features.
Added plugin rfbsrc with 1 feature.
Added plugin smpte with 1 feature.
Added plugin gstgetbits with 0 features.
Added plugin jpeg with 5 features.
Added plugin udp with 2 features.
Added plugin level with 1 feature.
Added plugin gst1394 with 1 feature.
Added plugin audiorate with 1 feature.
Added plugin gconfelements with 2 features.
Added plugin colorspace with 1 feature.
Added plugin gstaudio with 0 features.
Added plugin playondemand with 1 feature.
Added plugin gstvideo with 0 features.
Added plugin sdlvideosink with 1 feature.
Added plugin videotestsrc with 1 feature.
Added plugin videobox with 1 feature.
Added plugin vcdsrc with 1 feature.
Added plugin gstindexers with 2 features.
Added plugin gstfairgthreadscheduler with 1 feature.
Added plugin subparse with 1 feature.
Added plugin playbin with 1 feature.
Added plugin ximagesink with 1 feature.
Added plugin filter with 3 features.
Added plugin festival with 1 feature.
Added plugin cutter with 1 feature.
Added plugin typefindfunctions with 66 features.
Added plugin ac3parse with 1 feature.
Added plugin gstoptscheduler with 1 feature.
Added plugin gst_arts with 1 feature.
Added plugin alaw with 2 features.
Added plugin gstbytestream with 0 features.
Added plugin y4menc with 1 feature.
Added plugin videocrop with 1 feature.
Added plugin cdparanoia with 1 feature.
Added plugin gstbasicgthreadscheduler with 1 feature.
Added plugin alphacolor with 1 feature.
Added plugin median with 1 feature.
Added plugin gstelements with 15 features.
Added plugin rmdemux with 1 feature.
Added plugin rtp with 4 features.
Added plugin png with 2 features.
Added plugin ossaudio with 3 features.
Added plugin trm with 1 feature.
Added plugin spectrum with 1 feature.
Added plugin synaesthesia with 1 feature.
Added plugin gnomevfs with 2 features.
Added plugin smoothwave with 1 feature.
Added plugin tta with 2 features.
Added plugin autodetect with 2 features.
Added plugin gstresample with 0 features.
Added plugin volume with 1 feature.
Added plugin gstaf with 3 features.
Added plugin auparse with 1 feature.
Added plugin vbidec with 1 feature.
Added plugin gstoptgthreadscheduler with 1 feature.
Added plugin monoscope with 1 feature.
Added plugin apetag with 1 feature.
Added plugin audioscale with 1 feature.
Added plugin passthrough with 1 feature.
Added plugin dvdlpcmdec with 1 feature.
Added plugin artsdsink with 1 feature.
Added plugin cdplayer with 1 feature.
Added plugin xvimagesink with 1 feature.
Added plugin textoverlay with 1 feature.
Added plugin silence with 1 feature.
Added plugin interleave with 2 features.
Added plugin video4linux2 with 2 features.
Added plugin dvdec with 1 feature.
Added plugin gstdataprotocol with 0 features.
Added plugin videorate with 1 feature.
Added plugin modplug with 1 feature.
Added plugin gstspider with 2 features.
Added plugin gsttags with 1 feature.
Added plugin wavenc with 1 feature.
Added plugin chart with 1 feature.
Added plugin gstentryomegascheduler with 1 feature.
Added plugin videodrop with 1 feature.
Added plugin alsa with 3 features.
Added plugin multipart with 2 features.
Added plugin ffmpegcolorspace with 1 feature.
Added plugin qcamsrc with 1 feature.
Added plugin stereo with 1 feature.
Added plugin mulaw with 2 features.
Added plugin glimagesink with 1 feature.
Added plugin videomixer with 1 feature.
Added plugin gstentrygthreadscheduler with 1 feature.
Added plugin debug with 5 features.
Added plugin gstvideofilter with 0 features.
Added plugin rtjpeg with 2 features.
Added plugin deinterlace with 1 feature.
Added plugin alpha with 1 feature.
Added plugin gstmultifilesink with 1 feature.
Added plugin speed with 1 feature.
Added plugin gstidct with 0 features.
Added plugin overlay with 1 feature.
Added plugin efence with 1 feature.
Added plugin flxdec with 1 feature.
Added plugin gstoptomegascheduler with 1 feature.
Added plugin videobalance with 1 feature.
Added plugin gamma with 1 feature.
Added plugin theora with 2 features.
Added plugin snapshot with 1 feature.
Added plugin gstequalizer with 1 feature.
Added plugin volenv with 1 feature.
Added plugin speex with 2 features.
Added plugin gstaudioconvert with 2 features.
Added plugin esdsink with 2 features.
Added plugin decodebin with 1 feature.
Added plugin switch with 1 feature.
Added plugin smooth with 1 feature.
Added plugin videoscale with 1 feature.
Added plugin video4linux with 5 features.
Added plugin gstbasicomegascheduler with 1 feature.
Added plugin qtdemux with 1 feature.
Added plugin mixmatrix with 1 feature.
Added plugin vorbis with 4 features.
Added plugin games with 1 feature.
Added plugin riff with 0 features.
Added plugin goom with 1 feature.
Added plugin videoflip with 1 feature.
Added plugin ogg with 5 features.
Added plugin matroska with 2 features.
Added plugin adder with 1 feature.
Added plugin mng with 2 features.
Added plugin effectv with 8 features.
Added plugin timeoverlay with 1 feature.
Added plugin navigationtest with 1 feature.
Added plugin tcp with 7 features.
Added plugin wavparse with 1 feature.
Added plugin flac with 3 features.
Added plugin cdxaparse with 2 features.