Re: fedora legacy support for x86_64 architecture?

Robinson Tiemuqinke wrote:
>  Unfortunately some of our important applications work
> only reliably on x86_64 FC4 currently( some of them
> completely crash on FC5), so we have to wait a long
> while to recode and QA these shits before put them
> into production again. This means we have to run
> x86_64 FC4 after the latter is put into legacy status.

That's a fairly nasty situation you're in.

Have you investigated RHEL or CentOS? It's basically a repackaged RHEL,
so it should be fairly close to Fedora, but it should give you a much
longer "supported" lifespan.

And it sounds like you really need that longer supported lifespan.

Alternatively, have you thought about getting involved with Fedora
Legacy? Their FAQ says:
    If we get sufficient community support and sufficient infrastructure
    to support x86_64 (amd64) architectures, then we will provide
    maintenance for those as well as outlined below. As of the time this
    was written, we did not yet have sufficient resources to support
    x86_64.

I'm not sure quite how much they think necessary to support x86_64. But
it sounds as though lack of Fedora Legacy support for FC4 is costing you
hard cash -- it might be worth considering if it would be better put
into getting that support.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail address: james | I have never used the word contemnor before today.
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | Thank you for giving me the opportunity.