Re: bug or feature: hdparm functionality removed from initscripts-8.11.1-1?

http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2005-August/msg00201.html

http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2005-August/msg00204.html

> > I think having to play with hdparm to get CDs and
> DVDs burning at decent
> > speed is a good example of something that keeps
> average users far far from a
> > linux desktop.
>
> I'd see that as potentially an example of poorly
> chosen defaults.  You may
> want to file a Bugzilla entry (presumably against
> the kernel) and see what
> the developers have to say.
>
> --
>  		Matthew Saltzman
>
> Clemson University Math Sciences
> mjs AT clemson DOT edu
> http://www.math.clemson.edu/~mjs
>
> --

Now I am more in doubt than I was before.  On the
machine that told me that I do not have permission
running as su - root user, since I updated it to
Fedora Core 5 problem ( with hdparm -d1 /dev/hdc) was
solved.  On another machine running FC4, it has never
denied me the right to hdparm -d1 /dev/hdc

here it goes
[olivares@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.16-1.2069_FC4
[olivares@localhost ~]$ cat /etc/fedora-release
Fedora Core release 4 (Stentz)
[olivares@localhost ~]$ su -
Password:
[root@localhost ~]# hdparm -d1 /dev/hdc

/dev/hdc:
 setting using_dma to 1 (on)
 using_dma    =  1 (on)
[root@localhost ~]#

So I wonder now if it is on machine basis, dvd
drives/hard drives.  Everything is working nicely on
this older machine.  What could be happening.

Regards,

Antonio