Re: bug or feature: hdparm functionality removed from initscripts-8.11.1-1?

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006, Philippe A. wrote:

Hi Matthew,

2006/4/23, Matthew Saltzman <mjs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Nope, the OP's issue (/etc/sysconfig/harddisks missing) is a feature.
See Bugzilla #157673 and this thread at fedora-devel-list:
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2005-August/msg00201.html
.

Thanks for the pointers. This is indeed the same thing I mentionned. I may
try one of the alternatives mentionned (udev rule or sysconfig/modules).

Perhaps you can help me about one more thing? Unless DVD drive settings are
tweaked with hdparm, I'm stuck burning in 1X speed (in K3B at least). DVD
playback is also horrible (mplayer, xine). Shouldn't the kernel apply better
settings to dvd drives? I can't understand that reply of the devel thread:

http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2005-August/msg00204.html

I think having to play with hdparm to get CDs and DVDs burning at decent
speed is a good example of something that keeps average users far far from a
linux desktop.

I'd see that as potentially an example of poorly chosen defaults. You may want to file a Bugzilla entry (presumably against the kernel) and see what the developers have to say.

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu