Re: Console Fonts and Languages

Tim wrote:
On Sun, 2006-04-23 at 03:52 +0300, Kostas Sfakiotakis wrote:

Well in my original posting i was asking about the default iocharset ,
the default codepage and the default keymap .

Are you talking about wanting to affect the text-mode consoles and/or
the consoles running in an X session?

No , the issues are with text consoles only . The X consoles work perfectly,
a problem i have was with xmms , but there is an ongoing investigation on
that which is font related . So the answer to your question is

Text Consoles only .

For consoles within X, they  probably have a menu you can use.  I know
you said you used KDE, but > Gnome-terminals have a menu item for that.
> It'd be remiss of KDE > consoles not to do something similar.

Indeed X consoles have menu items to that effect as you describe it
for gnome . Namely, under the Setting menu item there is a Configure
Konsole menu item which is pretty promising to that effect ( it refers
among other things to UTF activation and other related font setting .

And what exactly are you referring to with iocharset?

iocharset is the mount setting that has to be used when you want to
mount a partition with filenames that have charachters that don't
bellong to the original 7bit ASCII code , in other words non English
Charachters .

If you're talking about characters typed in and results printed back,
> then the encoding  scheme (e.g. UTF-8) covers that.

Yes , that's what i mean .

You probably want to look through the man pages returned by:
apropos locale

It's a pretty promising idea . A quick look pointed out that i probably
haven't activated the locale (  By your reference the setlocale command ) .
I will try that and post back the results . But i think that it's close to the
solution

Kostas