Re: How to use dvgrab.

On Saturday 22 April 2006 19:36, Mike Chalmers wrote:
> On 4/22/06, Anne Wilson <cannewilson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Friday 21 April 2006 23:19, Mike Chalmers wrote:
> > > When Kino is installed will I be able to setup capture from
> > > my camcorder to the hard drive (making it an .avi) using a gui,
> > > because that would make it easier? Or does Kino only edit and not have
> > > a capture feature? Thanks.
> >
> > Mike, is your camcorder analogue or digital?  There's a lot of difference
> > in the way the video needs processing.
> >
> > Anne
> >

> > --
>
> I believe it is digital. It is a Panasonic GS-65.

I don't know much about digital - I'm still working with analogue and
mjpegtools - but on the mjpegtools web pages there is a diagram showing how
analogue and digital fit together, because some of the editing can be done in
the same way as I work. The recommendation there is that digital camcorders
be captured with firewire and kino.  That makes me wonder whether your camera
and computer are actually talking to each other.

My advice would be to test whether you can get the camcorder to play into
xawtv or similar package.  If you can watch and monitor the output there you
should be OK to capture in kino.  If you can't, it may be a connection or
interfacing problem.

Anne