[OTs] free video hardware

My experience with both ATI and nvidia is mixed. When it works, fine. But lately the closed source thing is becoming an issue (read the post of Sam Varshavchik (Re: X won't start) and you will see why),

My ATI card is getting me more trouble than it is worth, so I was wondering: which graphics cards have open source drivers and perform equalish to the latest ATI and nvidia cards? Is there a list of links to such cards? I know someone mentioned Matrox, but I have no idea of which Matrox card is equivalent to for instance the ATI radeon 800 XL (the card I have). I also tried the LinuxQuestion HCL (hardware compatibility list), but getting through all cards is *really* tedious and often the comments stored are quite old (look at the Matrox cards in there).

I am willing to buy a new card, just to get rid of the closed source issue.
Does anyone have a pointer?

Guus.

--
A.J. Bonnema, Leiden The Netherlands,