Re: How to use dvgrab.

On Fri, 2006-04-21 at 18:19 -0400, Mike Chalmers wrote:

> What is the difference between Kino and dvgrab? Does dvgrab not have a
> gui?

dvgrab is strictly a command-line capture utility.
Kino is a full-fledged video processing GUI application, that can
capture, edit, transcode and apply effects.

> How do I install Kino (I didn't see it in the add/remove programs
> utility)?

There's an RPM package for FC5 on Livna. Just enable the Livna repo and
then do a "yum install kino"

http://rpm.livna.org/configuration.html#Core5

Perhaps there are other repositories as well that carry Kino RPM
packages for Fedora. Google is your friend.

> When Kino is installed will I be able to setup capture from
> my camcorder to the hard drive (making it an .avi) using a gui,
> because that would make it easier?

Kino can also capture video from a DV source, just like dvgrab: either
in raw format, or in several variations of AVI encapsulations. Both
applications are part of the same project, with dvgrab as a lightweight
capture-only spin-off.

http://www.kinodv.org/

If you follow the process "capture everything, then process later" then
the presence or absence of a GUI during capture does not make any
difference - since you capture _everything_, the whole tape, from one
end to the other. Perhaps it sounds counter-intuitive, but it's true.
Even Kino or other GUI apps are built with this kind of process in mind.

dvgrab uses fewer resources than any GUI application and that can lead
to fewer situations where your system drops frames during capture, which
would require a restart of the process.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/