Re: How to use dvgrab.

On 4/21/06, Florin Andrei <florin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-04-21 at 17:44 -0400, Mike Chalmers wrote:
>
> > 1. When I type in dvgrab in the terminal, it only works from the
> > terminal. There is no gui. I need the gui so that I can use it
> > correctly.
>
> It depends on the workflow.
> Most people (myself included) just dump the whole tape onto the drive
> and do all processing (cut, edit, join, etc.) afterwards. This is the
> recommended technique in pretty much all cases.
> In that case, dvgrab works pretty well. Here are my scripts to create
> DVDs out of DV tapes:
>
> http://florin.myip.org/soft/conv-dvd/
>
> But if you _must_ use a GUI, I suggest taking a look at Kino - of which
> dvgrab implements only a fraction of functionality.
>
> I use Kino with dvgrab - I just capture everything with dvgrab (because
> it's simple and lightweight) then any trimming that's necessary is done
> with Kino. At the end, the DVD script takes care of the conversion to
> DVD.
>
> --
> Florin Andrei
>
> http://florin.myip.org/
>
> --

Hi,
What is the difference between Kino and dvgrab? Does dvgrab not have a
gui? How do I install Kino (I didn't see it in the add/remove programs
utility)? When Kino is installed will I be able to setup capture from
my camcorder to the hard drive (making it an .avi) using a gui,
because that would make it easier? Or does Kino only edit and not have
a capture feature? Thanks.

From,
Mike