Re: Router as embedded Linux?

Tom Diehl wrote:
On Fri, 21 Apr 2006, Neil Cherry wrote:

routers. The WRT54GS V4.0 is the most prized as it has the
most memory (8M RAM, 32M flash). Although the WRTSL54GS with

If you are looking for the extra memory be careful with the GS V4.
I have a couple of GS V4's and they only have 4/16 in them.
The open wrt pg says this:

WRT54GS v4.0

NOTE: v4.0 only has 4 MB Flash and 16 MB RAM. Half of prior versions.
Some WRT54GS v4 has 8 MB flash and 32 MB RAM, only first relase of WRT54GS
v4 had 4MB/16MB.

So that would seem to indicate that there are units with 8/32 but
the ones I have are 4/16 and there is no way to tell until you get it home
and open it up.

Ouch!

The WRTSL54GS can still be purchased also.

Have you actually used one of these?? Just curious. I have thought about
trying one of these but I have not. The only down side I can see is the
fact you cannot replace the antenna.

I've been thinking about it but right now it's not on the top of my
list. The antenna isn't a problem for me as I have soldering irons
and can fix that problem pretty quick. :-)

I also have the WGT634U which has less memory and a short permanent
single antenna. I've found the antenna gives good coverage so I
won't need to replace it.

--
Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry@xxxxxxxxxxx
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/               Backup site