Re: Router as embedded Linux?

Tom Diehl wrote:
On Fri, 21 Apr 2006, Randy Grimshaw wrote:

The Asus was nice but they are no longer available.
The current way to go is the Linksys WRTSL54GS.
At least with openwrt.org and derivitives.

Unless you can find some old GS laying around (check the serial number)
don't get the GS. The new GS is now running VXWorks. The only wrt54G still
being manufactured for Linux is the GL.

My understanding is that the new WRT54G V5.0, WRT54GS V5.0 and
WRT54GC are all running VxWorks. The only 'store bought' WRT
is the WRT54GL (I thought I might word that a bit differently).

The auction sites and a few refurb online stores still carry
the older routers. First check with the Openwrt.org site to
find out exactly what serial numbers correspond to which
routers. The WRT54GS V4.0 is the most prized as it has the
most memory (8M RAM, 32M flash). Although the WRTSL54GS with
the same RAM/flash also has a USB interface so you can mount
a disk (I have a WGT634U which has a similar feature).

The WRTSL54GS can still be purchased also.

--
Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry@xxxxxxxxxxx
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/               Backup site