Re: CLAMAV NOT RUNNING? Possible Solution

Hi Javier or anyone else.

I still can't get clamd running even after your helpful suggestions.

freshclam works
clamscan works

[root ~]# clamdscan
ERROR: Clamd is not configured properly.

[root ~]# service clamd start
clamd: unrecognized service

On Wed, 2006-19-04 at 01:45 -0500, Javier Perez wrote:
> OK.
> check out where your clamav.log file is. clamav.conf should say it.
> Or you can try and look it up on /var/log/clamav

ls: /var/log/campav: No such file or directory
Am I supposed to create a campav directory in /var/log or does clamav do
it?

> try to start clamd with
>
> # service clamd start

clamd: unrecognized service

> check out the logs. what are they telling you?

Nothing.  clamav.log doesn't exist.  Message and mail are silent.

> a common error is that clamav might be looking for its configuration
> file in /etc/ instead of /etc/clamav

Done.  No /etc/clamav but there is a /etc/clamd.d -- created link there.

> you could solve it by using a symbolic link

All help greatly received.  I haven't felt so frustrated since I first
installed Red Hat 7.0.

Regards Bill