Re: Wireless Routers for Linux?

On Fri, 2006-04-21 at 10:24 +0100, Ian Malone wrote:
> Bob Goodwin wrote:
> > Can anyone suggest a "wireless" router they have had success with?
> >

> Linksys WAG54G ver 2 here.  Nothing at all in the way of
> 'installation software', just a web interface which works with
> Firefox. Previously had a Belkin 7632UK4 which crashed a lot but
> did work, new firmware (update from Linux should work as far as
> I can see, but didn't try) might resolve that (it certainly fixes
> some other problems).

I have one to avoid: The new Linksys WRT54GX4 (SRX400) router. I got one
a couple of months ago. Let's just say that after:

* Several calls and chat sessions with "New Dehli" style technical
support
* Many resets and firmware updates (including the latest 1.00.15)
* Re-configuring and custom tuning almost everything several times
* Using the newest version of the Windows based config tool to do things
the way "New Dehli" wanted me to
* having much shorter hair from the frustration

...I'm convinced that I paid almost $150 for an electronic door stop.

The router is now to a point where it doesn't crash or interfere with my
Vonage service, but download speeds with it on my 6MB cable modem
connection benchmark out at a max of 330Kb/sec (using Broadband Reports
speed testing tools). After moving back to my old BEFW11S4 on the same
connection, download speeds immediately return to between 4MB/sec and
5MB/sec.

Openwrt doesn't support this router yet, but it does use GPL software.
Hopefully that means it will be added sometime in the future. We'll see.
I'd return it, but can not yet get past "New Dehli" to get an authorized
RMA.

Cheers,

Chris

--