Re: nfs in FC5

Frank-Michael Fischer wrote:

Despite the fact that "/usr/sbin/rpcinfo -b mountd 1" will show you all
the NFS hosts. Thus it wouldn't be a problem to provide such function.
You did not go at all wrong, you were right to say: "I know of no way
under fedora to detect NFS servers."

Even if you can enumerate NFS servers and shares using 'rpcinfo' and 'showmount', supporting the NFS protocol in file managers isn't really worth the effort right now. The NFS protocol, prior to version 4, trusts the client to tell the server what the user's uid/gid are. If users are free to browse NFS shares, then they are also free to tell the server that they are whatever numeric UID that they please, and effectively have full permission to the server (everything *except* root, which is normally access to all of the data).

I don't know all of the details of NFSv4's new permission system, but I understand that it can use Kerberos as part of its access control. It may be possible at some point in the future, when NFSv4 and Kerberos are both more widely deployed to provide support for NFS in users' file managers, but right now there's no need for it.