Re: nfs in FC5

Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-04-18 at 15:49 +0200, Frank-Michael Fischer wrote:
>
>> Aaron Konstam wrote:

>>> As others have suggested you seem to be confusing nfs with other sharing
>>> technologies. I know of no way under fedora to detect NFS servers. And
>>> mounting NFS shares requires a mount command of some sort either in
>>> fstab or on the command line.
>>>

>> Here is the text from "System -> Help":
>>
>>     To Access Network Places
>>
>>     If your system is configured to access places on a network, you can
>>     use the file manager to access the network places.
>>
>>     To access network places, open the file manager and choose Places →
>>     Network Servers. A window opens that displays the network places
>>     that you can access. Double-click on the network that you want to
>>     access.
>>
>>     To access UNIX shares, double-click on the Unix Network (NFS)
>>     object. A list of the UNIX shares available to you is displayed in
>>     the file manager window.
>>
>>     To access Windows shares, double-click on the Windows Network (SMB)
>>     object. A list of the Windows shares available to you is displayed
>>     in the file manager window.
>>
>> I am just asking how will I get the Unix Network (NFS) object showing in
>> the file manager? Because only the Windows Network (SMB) object shows.
>>
>> Actually there are also only two ways to access an SMB share: through
>> "mount -t cifs" or (poor man's version) "smbclient". So how comes I can
>> see the SMB shares in file manager without having an fstab entry or
>> issuing a "mount"?
>>
>> "showmount -e little" would give you e.g. the following list on my test
>> system:
>>
>>     Export list for little:
>>     /home *
>>     /srv/install *
>>
>> Therefore one could have an automatic discovery of available shares (and
>> other Linuxes have that). The documentations suggests we have it in FC5,
>> so how can we make it work?
>>
>> FMF
>>
> That might be what the Help system says but how do you do what it is
> describing. What application is the file manager. You can open the file
> browser but Places does not give me Network Servers, On the other hand
> you can go under file and ask to connect and it shows you servers you
> can connect to but NFS Servers are not among them.
>
> Where have I gone wrong?

Nautilus File Manager is the chapter in "Help" from where I took the
quote. Gordon explained that the help docs are wrong, the support for
NFS network places has been dropped in "gnome-vfs2". So it does not
function in FC5.

Despite the fact that "/usr/sbin/rpcinfo -b mountd 1" will show you all
the NFS hosts. Thus it wouldn't be a problem to provide such function.
You did not go at all wrong, you were right to say: "I know of no way
under fedora to detect NFS servers."

"/usr/sbin/rpcinfo -b mountd 1" is the way.

FMF