Re: NetworkManager tutorials?

Gene Heskett wrote:
On Thursday 20 April 2006 08:47, Aaron Konstam wrote:
On Thu, 2006-04-20 at 00:42 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
Greetings;

Subject...Is there such a thing?  I've browsed the limited docs
installed on FC5, without finding anything that tells me how to
configure it.  All I know is that if I start those 2 daemons, I have
to manually restart the network to restore service, and
that /etc/NetworkManager is an empty directory.

--
Could you explain what you mean by restarting the network since that
may not be correct.

As in 'service network restart'

Starting the NM daemon apparently takes me offline.

The "network" and "NetworkManager" services do the same task, as I've found when I had both of them started I would sometimes connect to wired with one and wireless with the other :P So I just keep network off now on my laptop. About not using GNOME...the NetworkManager applet right now is gnome-specific, so you might want to look into the efforts being made toward a KDE applet.
-Dan
I note at the bottom of the redhat link that it says broadcom stuff doesn't work, presumably because its ndiswrappered.

I know that ndiswrapper generated some pretty vociferous condemnations from the GPL defenders, but it there's no other way to do it, what are we the users to do. We're hardly in a position to demand GPL chipsets in the lappy's we buy, particularly when they are so intertwined in FCC regulations that are specifically designed to keep us from hacking these 'software radios' to do illegal things. IMO thats unforch, but its a fact of life and we should learn to deal with it after we realize all the mewling in the world isn't going to change the regulatory agencies stance on this even if broadcom were of a mind to gpl their drivers.

Is there any hope that this will be addressed and NM made to work with an ndiswrappered chipset eventually?

= Don't drink when you drive -- you might hit a bump and spill it.
:-)
== Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail:
akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx