slow X performance after recent updates (X/GTK/GNOME)

Hello folks!

After recent FC5 updates of X, GTK and GNOME, the CPU consumption for
X applications more than doubled. Most people might not have noticed
that on modern machines, but on my Pentium III 600 MHz it makes a big
difference if, for example, watching a movie requires 50% CPU or
over 100% CPU. Graphics card is an nVidia GeForce2 MX 400.
Checked with mplayer and xine, same problem. About 40-50% CPU go to
the player, the rest goes to the "X" process.

Everything was fine about one week ago (total CPU < 50%).

I don't know what exactly caused this significant performance
impact, but since I don't use KDE (but fvwm2) it seems to be
related to recent X (xorg), GTK or GNOME updates. It's clearly
not caused by the new kernel 2.6.16-1.2096 or by SELinux (both
was easy to try). As far as I checked with strace, it's hard to
say where all the CPU power actually goes, but it seems to be
related to the X display (over 50% CPU to the "X" server process
doesn't look good).

Well, I could downgrade packages, but before I mess up the system
completely, I'd like to ask if anyone else found the reason (and
a solution) for that big performance loss due to recent updates.
Is that by intention? A new feature I didn't realize? Maybe
something that can be turned off? Or is it simply a bug?

Yes, it might be time to buy a more powerful computer, but until
last week, my P3@600 was fast enough for all my daily work. I'm fine
with the fact, that all the fancy new features require constantly
more CPU power, but that sudden increase of resource requirements
looks like there's a bug in the new packages.

Anyone else with similar problems?

	Greetings, Andreas