Re: What backup method(s) do you use?

--On Wednesday, April 19, 2006 5:13 PM -0500 Arthur Pemberton <pemboa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

That's what I use for my office machine. The dump is to a Samba-mounted
Windows server.

I took a quick look at the docs on 'dump' it seems to say that it is
for ext3 file systems no? If so, how do you dump to smb server on
windows, more importantly, how does it keep the ACLs? I guess i need
to readup further on dump.

I'm dumping an ext3 filesystem. The backup medium is a Samba share. So you'd see the dump file on the Win2003 server's disk.

ext3 does have extended attributes where ACL's can be stored, so once there's more support for ACL's in Linux, the infrastructure is there to store them and back them up.

My backup script runs dump and then runs "restore -C" (compare) to verify the dump. One caveat here is that dump sees the raw device while restore sees only the mounted filesystems, so files that are hidden by mount points (including the mount point itself) are not available to restore to check against the dump. This can cause some spurious miscompare warnings.