Re: Can anyone explain the use of init3

On 06/04/19 14:13 (GMT-0400) Les Mikesell apparently typed:

>> Plus, I boot to runlevel 3. I start 5 only after I know which xorg
>> config is active, as I don't necessarily always want the same one as
>> last start. When I want a different config, I drop back to 3, switch the
>> config, then go back to 5. I'm annoyed that the login tty where I make
>> the switch doesn't return a prompt to let me know it finished, since
>> sometimes, the normal near instant return doesn't happen until after
>> some insufferable and inexplicable wait.

> If you are doing this manually, why don't you start X with
> "startx" from the command line instead of 'init 5'.  Then

I often do. Sometimes I want to retain a user login choice until seeing
the reaction I get from the login manager.

> when you exit (log out of X or ctl-alt-backspace) you will
> be back where you started instead of having the system doing
> a lot of stuff mostly unrelated to your session or what you
> want to happen.

Depends what I'm messing with. Often I can tell if I got the desired
result(s) just from the login manager, which is quicker than waiting for
a whole desktop and open apps to load, and then close if I need to do it
again.
--
"Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but
rather expose them."			Ephesians 5:11 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409