Re: Can anyone explain the use of init3

On Wed, 2006-04-19 at 12:44, Felix Miata wrote:

> > How would you describe the bug?  The X screen is going to be
> > started on a virtual console where you don't already have
> > a login (mingetty) running.  Switching runlevels will kill
> > your running X session.  At that point, why do you think
> > the selected virtual console should switch?  Should you
> > be forced to VC1 on a runlevel switch - or should a mingetty
> > run on vc7 in runlevel3 but not 5 so you'd get a login
> > prompt without switching?
>
> What Ian wrote Wed, 19 Apr 2006 16:11:41 +0100.
>
> Plus, I boot to runlevel 3. I start 5 only after I know which xorg
> config is active, as I don't necessarily always want the same one as
> last start. When I want a different config, I drop back to 3, switch the
> config, then go back to 5. I'm annoyed that the login tty where I make
> the switch doesn't return a prompt to let me know it finished, since
> sometimes, the normal near instant return doesn't happen until after
> some insufferable and inexplicable wait.

If you are doing this manually, why don't you start X with
"startx" from the command line instead of 'init 5'.  Then
when you exit (log out of X or ctl-alt-backspace) you will
be back where you started instead of having the system doing
a lot of stuff mostly unrelated to your session or what you
want to happen.

Most people would log into X (only) at init 5, and then
if they switch to init 3 would have no previous login to
re-appear.  You'd have to switch VC's and log in in text
mode in that case.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx