Re: Fedora core 3 - 4GB memory limit?

Robert Locke wrote:
Red Hat also introduced a "bigmem" or "hugemem" kernel package that
changed the underlying memory architecture to a 4G/4G split and allowed
us to extend addressable memory to 64GB on a 32-bit architecture - but
again, only 4GB at a time and a need to context switch a bit.  But, this
made the database folks happy, who cannot seem to get enough RAM to
cache with.
This is my problem, I need to be able to cache more of the database. :)

I believe the general recommendation though these days, given that
hybrid 64-bit CPUs from AMD and Intel are definitively mainstream is
that we probably "should" migrate to one of these new processors when we
look to exceed the native 32-bit capacity of 4GB, and hence, no more
context switching....

Thanks for everyones help with this thread, I sure need to update the system with available updates and need to check wheather the motherboard can handle more ram, but I'm quite certain it can since its one of hps bigger server models, dont know which currently.

But your hints and tips and following discussion of >4gb memory on 32bit system was very interesting and will probably keep me on the right track.

Thanks for answering again. :)

/eric