Re: FC5_64 fails to start - nVidia MCP51 onboard LAN causing PC hanging

Hi Marcel,

Tks for your advice.

> > Yes, this is a new system.  Which memory setup did you refer?  TIA
>
> The memory timing settings. CAS/RAS settings.

I can't find the above settings on BIOS of the motherboard.

ASUS A8N-VM socket 939.

After having tried FC5_64 (FC5 32 bit also failed) several days without
success, it came to my notice that most likely is the onboard LAN
chipset causing the PC hanging.

Onboard LAN
eth0 (nVidia Corporation MCP51 Ethernet Controller)

Without setup network connection the OS can be played around,
starting/closing applications.  Whenever I tried setting up broadband
connection the PC immediately hung even before its completion.  I
tested it several times.

I ran Ubuntu 5.10 Live CD successfully on this PC.  Broadband
connection can be setup.  How long can I browse Internet depends on
luck.  Finally the PC also hung.

I'm now searching around on Internet trying to find out a solution.

Any advice would be appreciated?  TIA

B.R.
SL