Re: FC5: Unable to retrieve software information

I had wondered if that was the case but assumed not because I was trying to
install an RPM locally (i.e. one I had downloaded) - I'm also assuming that
the Add/Remove Software is looking locally.   HTTP works with no problem
so I guess it does beg the question of what protocal rpm uses.  I'll keep
checking on the networking front as I'm not entirely sure I've got that set up
correctly.  Thanks for the response.