Re: nfs in FC5

Frank-Michael Fischer wrote:
Here is the text from "System -> Help":
    To access UNIX shares, double-click on the Unix Network (NFS)
    object. A list of the UNIX shares available to you is displayed in
    the file manager window.

File a bug against its docs.  gnome-vfs2 doesn't contain support for NFS.

I am just asking how will I get the Unix Network (NFS) object showing in
the file manager? Because only the Windows Network (SMB) object shows.

You can't, GNOME apparently no longer supports it.

Actually there are also only two ways to access an SMB share: through
"mount -t cifs" or (poor man's version) "smbclient". So how comes I can
see the SMB shares in file manager without having an fstab entry or
issuing a "mount"?

Because it's easy for a user-space process to interface with an SMB server. gnome-vfs2 uses the same code that smbclient does.

NFS is a different beast entirely. Unless your server is configured specially (using the "insecure" option), it won't accept requests to mount or browse from non-root users on client systems. That alone makes NFS support in Nautilus pretty much useless.

"showmount -e little" would give you e.g. the following list on my test
system:

    Export list for little:
    /home *
    /srv/install *

Therefore one could have an automatic discovery of available shares (and
other Linuxes have that).

Not really.  How do you automatically discover hosts that offer NFS service?